From the website Vegan Food; More Than Tofu and Sprouts, by Marti Miller-Hall, aka "Tofu Mom." Printed with permission.
12 cups 1/2-inch cubes whole wheat bread (homemade is better because it's more "dense", you can use part white or even part cornbread if you want)
1/2 cup Earth Balance (Or less, but it's the Holidays, come on, make it right!!)
2 cups chopped sweet onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 red, tart apples (not red delicious) UNpeeled and chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
2 Tbsp. finely minced fresh sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh if you can find it in November...)
1 Tsp. crushed dried rosemary or 1 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup chopped roasted pecans or whatever nut you like (OK, not peanuts, that'd be weird!)
1 1/2 cups vegetable (or vegetarian "chicken-flavor") broth
- Toast bread cubes 5 to 7 minutes or until barely golden, in a 400 degree oven.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/2 the Earth Balance and cook onion and celery over medium heat for 3 minutes or until softened.
- In another skillet, melt remaining Earth Balance, add apples, and saute until softened.
- Mix everything together. Toss gently.
- If it's really dry add a sprinkle more broth until the texture you like.
- Toss well and adjust seasoning and bake until heated through.
Optional: Crumble and fry 4 Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Sausages and mix in. REALLY amazing-super-yum!!
Return to Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes.