As the eyes of the world turn towards Washington for the changing of the guard, the vegan community will very likely have high hopes for the new “regulatory czar,” Cass Sunstein. Sunstein will head the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, which regulates, among many other agencies, the Environmental Protection Agency. Hmmm….
For those of you who don’t pay too much attention to US politics, Sunstein is a Harvard University Law School professor and author of “Animal Rights: Current Debates and New Directions.” (If you click on the link it will take you to Amazon, where you can read an excerpt.) I haven’t read the book yet, but I did order it… Sunstein will have his hands full with many other issues, but he has stood up and argued for animal rights in the (recent) past.
It will be interesting to see what changes Sunstein will promote in the avenue of animal rights.
For further reading:
- Sunstein, Cass R.,The Rights of Animals: A Very Short Primer(August 2002). U Chicago Law & Economics, Olin Working Paper No. 157; U of Chicago, Public Law Research Paper No. 30. (This will bring up the abstract, you can download the entire paper via a link at the top of their page.)
- Associated Press – Sunstein Appointed Regulatory Czar
- The Wall Street Journal re: Sunstein.
- ABA Jouranl – Lawyers Who May Run America
- What the other side is saying: Opposing Views